Saturday, July 29, 2006

8:00pm

Bugger me, these books are heavy. I don't get what it is about the game books as opposed to the paper backs, but man, carrying these things is like drilling nails into my lower back. I'm definitely going to need that spa treatment after this, even if it's not a massage or anything like that.

There's a really nice breeze blowing--since our AC is broken (has been for a week now, so for that entire hooorrrrrible heat wave we just went through) and won't be fixed until the 3rd, all the windows are open, front and back, so that we can catch a cross breeze. The lack of seasons out here is kind of a drag, and you know, sometimes the thought of what would happen if the Big Quake ever hit is a bit daunting, but on days like this, when I can go out on my front porch and just sit for a few minutes while the wind blows, it's just beautiful.

This hour's proposal: LEGOs to help teach math to some second graders in Mandeville, LA. This one's near and dear to my heart right now, given my own current struggles with the Evil That Is Math. :)

Time for some more random and probably crappy fiction with this post's song:

Why is it that all we ever do is argue? How long has it been since we said a civil word to one another? I can't even remember anymore. We have our sides of the house, and when we pass in the hallway, it always leads to another fight, no matter what time of day. It's been going on for so long that we've started to take shortcuts now. We know the quickest, easiest way to cut to the quick, and when we start, the race is on, we're always trying to see who can make the other walk away first. It makes me think of what we used to have, though I can't ever look at those pictures without starting something again. I know that, if I left, it'd be the biggest mistake I'd ever make, but how long can I go on like this?

Who knows how long it would have continued. Our friends, tired of being caught in the middle, tired of watching at the sidelines, finally made us sit down to talk. We kept saying that we didn't know what they were talking about, but all they'd do is raise their eyebrows and just look at us. It's getting better now--we can talk without fighting, at least. I'm not sure whether we'll be able to work things out, but I'd like to at least try. It surprised me, when we ran into each other in the hall, both of us distracted by looking at the same picture, that one of us on our honeymoon, all smiling and happy faces. Our eyes meet, and...well, it's just a tiny smile from both of us, but it's a start.

No comments: