Saturday, July 29, 2006

3:30pm

Making progress on the last of the shelves now, and good lord, I have a lot of books. It's funny, because when we bought these shelves, my mom bought them for us, under the condition that we'd sort through what we had and donate/throw away/eBay what we didn't need anymore. We didn't have all that much on them when we first started out, but they're quite full now--I can't put my books normally, they're all stacked up 10 high and 2 deep, 3 or 4 stacks wide, depending on what else is there.

Maybe I really ought to go through my books again, heh.

This post's song:

I Stand Alone - Steve Perry

From the soundtrack of the animated movie Quest For Camelot, Steve Perry's version of this song is beautiful. Bryan White's in-movie version is good, also, but I have to admit, this one is my favorite. Part of it is that I love Steve Perry's voice, but he just does an excellent job with this one. There's a lot of imagery for me here, too, as I listen. So much inner strength, an amazing amount of self-confidence, knowing that one has not only the desire but the *ability* to stand alone, and to be successful. So many people depend on the strength of others--and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, generally, but when someone's so dependent that they can't stand on their own, that they can't support themselves, I suppose maybe that's when it gets to be difficult.

I've used this song as inspiration for MUSH characters before, almost entirely of the non-dragonriding sort, seeing as how being a dragonrider sort of precludes the whole 'alone' thing. Usually, for an important scene, or something of that nature, but I know I've used it in a broad, build-a-character sort of sense, too.

No comments: