Saturday, July 29, 2006

4:30pm

I shouldn't be so tired so early in the day, I really shouldn't. Once I'm done moving those rotten shelves, I'm going to take another shower, because I think that will help wake me up.

I haven't done much with that lately, though; too caught up in old memories that I'll likely write about at some point later on tonight, in form of a song.

For now, another drabble-type thing. I'm starting to think this is a lot like NaNoWriMo--it doesn't matter whether what you write is any *good*, just that you write it. Later, there'll be plenty of time for editing.

This post's song:

You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This - Toby Keith

We've known each other a long time, been friends for a long time, but when I took her into my arms tonight, I couldn't explain it, there was just something...different about her, about me, about us. We've danced so many times before now, you'd think that if we were going to fall in love, we'd have done it years ago. All our friends seem to think that we'd make a perfect pair, but we always laugh and shake our heads. But tonight, as we move across the dance floor, I can't help but look at her and wonder what if. Something must be showing in my face, because she gets that wrinkle between her eyebrows, like she always does--only today, it makes me catch my breath--and she asks me what's wrong. All I can do is shake my head, it's not as if anything's *wrong*, just...different. And she smiles, then leans up to kiss me, and I felt my heart skip a beat. I probably would've stepped on her toes, if we weren't so used to dancing together. I bring her in closer, rest my hand on the bare skin revealed by the low back of her dress. "You shouldn't kiss me like that," I say, but she doesn't answer, just tightens her arms around me, and we keep on dancing around and around, lost on the floor.

No comments: