Thursday, October 13, 2005

The suck.

It really sucks to have to worry about having a group project that has a grade that will be based upon the performance of one's group. It sucks even more when said grade comprises a third to half of the final class grade. And when the people that you've been assigned to group with don't really give a shit as long as they can pass the class? Yeah, not much fun. I'm waiting to see what the professor will say, but I predict a long remainder of the quarter.

I also predict a craptastic grade in the class, because I don't have the time or inclination to be the only one who does anything for this project. I want to get a good grade, I want to maintain the GPA that I have--or make it better, if I can--but I am in school to learn, not to drag four self-entitled, couldn't-care-less 18 year olds to a good grade in speech class.

The thing that sucks is that I've only just come off academic probation--yep, little old me with the 3.75 GPA is on academic probation, how's that for excellent? But I got there because I registered for and subsequently dropped several different classes. If I tank this one, I'll end up back on academic probation for this quarter...not to mention the fact that I will have to start another speech class all over again from scratch at some point in the future. Why's that? Oh, because either Speech 1 or Speech 10 is a requirement for a transfer to CSU, and since I want to start off with San Jose State, well, there you go.

And really, until I got stuck with this group, I was actually enjoying the class. There are a few people with whom I've hit it off pretty well, so much so that instead of hanging around outside the classroom with my headphones on, I'll actually socialize, which has been pretty rare in the past.

So...we'll see. Hopefully, the professor will let me join a different group, and I will have no qualms whatsoever about telling this group of boys that I need to be in a group that will actually, you know, participate. But if half my grade is going to be determined by these boys, I think I will risk the academic probation and having to adjust to another speech class, because...well. As my mother says, I'm an over-achiever, I guess.

In other news, I got my math placement results, and as anticipated, I am stuck in a pre-algebra class. I'm surprised it wasn't lower than that--though I don't know if that's possible--but some of the questions that came up on the test just made me sit there and stare, and feel like the world's biggest idiot. I used to know that stuff. Now, I am teh dumb.

And for those of you who remember how much trouble I had with my English 1A class in the spring, well, imagine my surprise when I found out that the person who had given me my placement test results back a few years ago was wrong--I was *not* placed into English 1A, I was placed into English 2. I am both vindicated (I knew I'd done well on that damn test!) and rather pissed, because I spent a quarter working my ass off for a crazy professor in a class that I had tested out of. Bah.

No comments: