So, Monday brought the beginning of fall quarter, and my next math class. Class notes first: it seems easy, so far, but we're reviewing stuff that I just did in my pre-alg class, so that's to be expected, I guess. The instructor is going to annoy me, I'm afraid. Too much time going over homework, not enough time going over what's in the book, and then assigns homework that includes stuff that we didn't even discuss during the class period. Very disorganized. The best example of that wasn't in her teaching style, though, but in how she handled the first day of class.
I was a couple minutes late (more on that later), and ended up having to stand with about 15 other people outside the door, trying desperately to hear what she was saying. Turned out that she went through the wait list roll call first, and it took her quite awhile to think of asking the add wannabes to vacate in favor of people who were already registered--about five of us lingering outside the door. And even once it was clear that she wouldn't be able to add anyone, and probably shouldn't have taken a fair number of the wait list folks, she still wouldn't tell the people hanging outside the door that they wouldn't get into the class. No, it took the Dean of the department to do that.
I'll live--the important part is getting through the class so that I can hit the next level of math, and then get registered for my statistics course in spring quarter. Then, I'll be done with math, at least for a little while.
It's interesting, though, being on campus during the day. A LOT more kids--to be expected, I guess, considering that it's fall quarter and they're just now out of high school. Not a lot of older folks--which, again, stands to reason because they're more likely to come to night school.
But, since there are a LOT of kids, the parking situation sucks ass. It's not that there aren't enough spaces, because there are two multi-floor garages, and a couple of HUGE lots, but none of it is terribly convenient to the math department. I've settled with parking in one of the multi-floor garages, but since I get there at 10:10-ish, I'm having to park close to the top floor. No big deal, really, until I start getting sharked for parking on my way back to the car. I can't tell you how much I haaaaaaate that crap.
I've seen some really interesting things, too. A lot of spandex that shouldn't be. One girl who's got a coffee can muffler...on her Ford Taurus. A *lot* of very dark-haired boys and girls that have tried to streak their hair blond, but since the hair's so dark, it looks kind of sickly yellow.
Interestingly, also, there are two deaf people and one blind person in my class. It's no big deal, but it makes me wonder, this has never happened to me before now, so is it more likely that they'd attend during the day? And if there are 3 in just my one class, how many other folks are attending classes elsewhere on campus? I bet those interpreters and closed-captioners make bank, and I bet they're kept damn busy.
Full steam ahead, though. My math homework for the week is done, so this weekend, it's my reading for my history class. I like this book so far. My history professor, who I'll see a total of four times all quarter, says that it's a lot smarter than some stuff out there, and it certainly seems to be so far. Now, if only the DeAnza support crew would get on the stick and fix the links to the video streaming stuff, I'd be set.
And as for the rest, well. If you read Brett's LJ, you know all about the townhouse situation. I find it somewhat ironic that we're looking seriously at the apartment complex that we left about a year and a half ago as our best option. There's a complex downtown that looks great on paper, but the reviews I've read mention that it's really dodgy, with some break-ins of both homes and cars, so I don't know how I feel about that.
I dropped my application for vending at Pantheacon in the mail on Monday night, and have since spent the rest of the week suddenly remembering that fact and trying not to panic. Taking an objective look at my stuff, though...given what I've got pictures of, I really doubt that I'll get a spot. Too much sparkly crystal, not enough of anything else. But, we'll see--I'd love to vend there, so I'm hoping that it'll all be well.
And...I think I've babbled enough for now. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment