Thursday, August 24, 2006

Things I have learned over the past few days.

- I have learned that it's possible to seriously fuck up your back just by doing something as innocent as putting on a pair of underwear. This happened to me on Monday morning. Twang-snap went my lower back, and that has set the stage for the past three days. (And more, since really, it's still all twinge-y.)

- I have learned just how much work my back does, even when all I'm doing is sitting in a chair and typing. It's quite amazing, actually--if painful, when practically everything I do makes that muscle go 'Hey! I'm heeeeeeeeeeere!' Ow.

- I have learned that it really is possible to take more than 5 minutes to get into one's car. Too bad I couldn't put the top down in the garage, as I think that might have helped some.

- I have learned that everyone, whether grocery store or drug store, puts over-the-counter back pain remedies on the bottom freaking shelf. However, both times, I was lucky enough to have a store employee close by to request help from.

- I have learned that working from home is both a blessing and a curse. Damn, I get my work done fast with no distractions. But holy crap, World of Warcraft is tempting once the day starts to get slow.

- I have learned that 600mg of ibuprofin works its way through my blood stream in about 3 hours. I have also learned that waking up in the middle of the night to take more, while suckful, is very helpful for being able to function in the morning.

And really, what it all boils down to: I have learned to be more careful when dressing myself. Because really, having to explain to people that the reason why I'm walking like a geriatric patient missing her walker is because I screwed up while putting on my underwear is kind of silly.

But, yay for work flexibility, allowing me to work at home for two days, and yay for spouse, who has been very helpful and sweet while I bitch and whine about this.

Also, yay for Advil, and yay for Watercourse Way, where I intend to get a tub tomorrow night so I can soak for awhile.

No comments: