So, yeah, I'm still here, really. Busy with work and preparing for summer quarter and World of Warcraft, and just generally still feeling very uninspired, which makes me sad. Of course, I only have myself to blame, since I think part of the problem is that I don't use my brain enough, but being back in classes should help with that.
Summer quarter starts Monday. A bit odd, because we go Monday, we're off Tuesday, then back again on Wednesday. Why not just start on July 5th and be done with it? At any rate, it'll be interesting, as I'm set to be back in math class again. It's also going to encourage a modification to my work schedule once the fall quarter starts. Since I still want to be able to do stuff in the evenings, like...say...hockey games, I'm going to start working a split schedule, with my boss's blessing. Work from 6-10 (or something), go to class, come back and work from 1-5, done. That'll mean I can take some day classes, and won't have to worry as much about missing games.
That's rather interesting commentary on my priorities, isn't it? Heh.
In other news...
Those of you who've been reading the syndication feed on LJ for awhile will remember that I participated in the Blogathon event back in 2003. It was a bit insane at the time--stayed up 24 hours to post to my blog every half hour, took a nap, then went up to get fitted for my wedding dress at the Novato ren faire the next day, all zombified.
Anyway, I'm going to do that again this year, and I have nothing planned for the day, so brace yourselves on July 29th for the LJ syndication feed spam. :) This also means that I need sponsors once I get all signed up.
This year, I'll be blogging for Donors Choose, which is a fantastic organization that allows teachers from a few metro areas around the country to write proposals for things they'd like to do in their classrooms. The proposals are screened, then posted to the website, where folks like you and I can go browsing around to choose the proposal that we'd most like to fund. I've funded several--a water table for a kindergarten class in rural North Carolina, Harry Potter books, US history videos, all kinds of things. When they fulfill the order, the organization provides the teacher with a disposable camera, so we get pictures of our donations in action. They all send thank-you notes, as well--or sometimes, like in the case of the water table, a thank-you book that was just too adorable for words. I still have that kicking around. The great thing is that you don't have to fully fund the proposals, you can donate as much or as little as you want.
ANYway. For the Blogathon, sponsors can either pledge a flat donation, or they (you!) can pledge an hourly amount, kind of like the March of Dimes. So, for example, if I go the whole 24 hours, and you donate $1/per hour, then you end up giving $24 to Donors Choose. Please consider sponsoring me for this, if you can--I'd love it, and so would they.
In the spirit of the whole Donors Choose methodology, rather than asking them for a way to simply donate, I'd love to have anyone who chooses to sponsor for me pick a proposal on their own to make a donation to. If you want to sponsor me for this, and you pick out a proposal beforehand, let me know, and I'll include it here in the blog.
This year's theme is...well, kind of ambitious, and in two parts. The easy part: I'll pick out various Donors Choose proposals that tickle my fancy and link them here. The hard part: I'm going to try something a little different...a little creative, if you will. Each half hour, I'll pick a song at random (or by suggestion from sponsors--see? interactive participation!), listen to it, and give myself five minutes to write something about it. How it makes me feel, a drabble that it inspires, something like that.
So, there you have it, that's what's going on with me lately. Please do consider sponsoring me in this year's Blogathon--I've known about Donors Choose for awhile now, first pointed in that direction by Sars at Tomato Nation. It's a fantastic concept that works amazingly well, they're wonderful to their donors, and I just want to spread the word about them as far as I possibly can. More details on how to sponsor when I have them!
And, yeah, remembered this a little bit later, so edited the post, but even if you can't sponsor me, or don't want to, or whatever--moral support is always hugely valuable to me, and very much appreciated, too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment