Monday, May 15, 2006

Come hear Uncle John's band...

Awhile ago, a friend of mine posted (over on Livejournal) asking people whether they had songs that made them cry for no particular reason. It took me awhile to find a response, mostly because, while I *know* they're out there, I was having trouble thinking of anything.

I mean, there are plenty of songs out there that make me cry, but a lot of them are meant to, I think. Stuff like Where've You Been, by Kathy Mattea, or Skin, by Rascal Flatts.

There are others, more than just the country artists, but trying to list them all would probably take forever.

Something else that brings tears to my eyes is live music, when the crowd is as loud or louder than the musicians themselves as they sing to the music. Don't ask, I have no idea, suffice it to say that it just gets me, every time.

Today, though, on the way back from lunch, I had one of those songs that made me cry, not because the lyrics are sad, but because it has pleasant associations for me. I don't even know all the words, and it surprised me...

Well, I guess that it'd probably make more sense if I identified the song first--Uncle John's Band, by the Grateful Dead.

And why does this one make me cry?

It reminds me of my mom. Just...lots of good associations, things that make me think of my mom, things that make me thankful that I've had her in my life. I really need to go download that one somewhere, I think.

So...yeah. No real reason, except that it makes me happy. Sometimes, life is funny that way.

Come hear Uncle John's band
Playing to the tide...

No comments: